Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A New Way to Write

When it comes to writing papers, each of us has been taught various ways of doing it throughout the years. The one thing that we have in common is that we all undergo similar processes in developing and writing a paper. I am here to walk you through some of the new insights and perspectives that I am learning throughout my English Composition class. For today we have been asked to define what we believe when it comes to what we have learned in writing.

For step 1 we were asked to write for three minutes about one of the following topics:
You have to know your thesis before you start
You have to be objective
You can't use the pronoun I
You can use your own experiences and observations as evidence
You can use your own writing voice
You're writing mostly for your instructor.
You're supposed to use your own opinions.

and then formulate why we think it is true or false and give backing. I chose being able to use your own experiences and observations as evidence. 

Let's say that someone walks up and tells me that I have to write a paper but I cannot use my own experiences and observations but must rely on outside sources only, how should I respond? Well I can say that from my personal experience with writing, using my voice in text helps to emphasis my perspective on the given topic. I believe in using my own experiences and observations within my writing to give another voice to the writing. While everyone may not agree with me, I feel that another opinion in the mix is helping to generate more questions to help other readers think outside the box. I was always taught in high school that in academic writing using what you know and have learned can help to benefit a paper. No one may care about an ordinary round about opinion I may have but I have a voice so I should use it.

For step 2 we were again asked to write for three minutes on one of these given topics:

There is a big difference between facts and  opinions.
Pretty much everything you read in textbooks is true.
People are entitled to their own opinions, and no on opinion is better than another.
There's a big difference between a fact in the sciences and a fact in the humanities.
When two experts disagree, one of them has to be wrong.

and formulate why we believe what we believe. I chose to people are entitled to their opinions, and no one opinion is better than another.
  I have heard it say that everyone is entitled to their own, and no one opinion is better than another. I would have to agree with the first part of this statement but for the second I am on the fence. If your opinion can be backed up by facts and someone else cannot do the same, wouldn't that be the case? Everyone has a different perception, a different outlook on life, drama, problems, solutions and the list goes on but the fact of the matter is that we can agree that everyone has a different take on the same topic. To me that's just like if if two people agree and one does not, who is wrong? I feel that that is how our opinions are. Growing up we are taught and trained through our education system, so we had to have learned our opinions from somewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment