Friday, November 1, 2013

How to Search the Web

For today's insight we will be focusing on how to search for academic insight on the internet. In most circumstances we turn to google to find topics, questions and answers because it is quick and easy. But the real question is how effective, how true and how reliable is this information that we are trying to use? The assignment for today is to use a different search engine and find three new results for our research topic. My topic is on "Prison guards treatment of prisoners." 

Step3: 

I never expected to find other research on the same topic and how in depth they went. I used noodle tools to find the iseek search engine.

The article I found can be seen at  http://my.firedoglake.com/mt6112a/2011/09/22/treatment-of-prisoners-by-guards-in-private-prisons/. This article goes into detail of the mistreatment of Hawaiian prisoners by their private prison guards. This topic has me thinking more about our general treatment of people regardless of criminal or just an innocent bystander. Why do we allow our emotions to get caught up in the jobs that we have to do? Even if you are sitting in jail, you have a right to not be treated like dirt. 

The second article makes me wonder why there has been such a change in the system that there is a need to switch over to privatized security. I also found this one under iseek, you can view it at http://my.firedoglake.com/mt6112a/2011/09/22/treatment-of-prisoners-by-guards-in-private-prisons/. Training for these guards becomes less and less important and the paycheck diminishes.

The last article I took a look into was found under the search engine surfwax and can be found at http://news.yahoo.com/justice-dept-wont-prosecute-idaho-prison-guards-192244159.html. I found it interesting that prison guards can be held responsible for the treatment of inmate to inmate abuse. It makes me wonder why it is okay to sit back and watch these violent acts persist. It is sick and sadistic and no one deserves to be left with the kind of damage that Elabed was left with because none of the guards would help him.

I found this assignment to be extremely helpful and eye opening to a topic I was unsure of. It was harder at the beginning of this week to find any credible sources that related to this topic. Also, I had no idea these other search engines existed. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you found it to be just as helpful as I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment